Friday, March 4, 2016

The Vantage Point


I recently watched a video clip called “The invisible woman” byNicole Johnson. 
It was brilliantly presented; capturing what I feel is the essence of Christian life, though she was addressing women in particular: a mom's daily routines, daily real life heroes with faces and names unknown. 




It made me think of several things that I have been mulling over the last few weeks. This clip served as a catalyst to my reflections. Here are some of my thoughts
 
 What's true for those women described in the video clip is true for a lot of us maybe though in different ways. Most of our lives are unseen,and is  unnoticed by people around us. Even those with a public life, live vast amounts of time in a place where no one is watching,no audience, no one to applaud. It's just you.

When in that private place, is there a real me pops out from the jack in the box? Do I live life like in a jack in the box? Or is what you see is what you get i.e. who I really am? 
So what's it I do in the unseen places of my life? Who I am when I am alone, my thoughts, action, how I live my day is the real me. What motivates me? What makes me get out of bed each day? How far ahead am I looking or not looking?

 Where do I get my equilibrium from? Is it dependent on some position or title accorded to me? Am I authentic in who I am because I am not afraid or ashamed to be me- because my identity and security come from a relationship of  being totally loved and accepted. Full stop! I need to say it just in case you missed that punctuation mark! 
These are questions I ask myself as I ponder on several things.

What is my vantage point : the past, the present, my experiences, my failures or successes, the future? Do these things colour or dictate my perspective?
What is my life's vision? What is my vantage point from where I am looking at the next 20 years? And if I can’t see it in the present can I live with it in view?

I believe my vantage point will determine whether I have tenacity and strength of character to stay in for the long haul. Can I give myself to something that will outlive me? Can I give myself to something where the finished product is one that I will never see in this life?Can I give myself to another's vision? Can I hold onto God given dreams and work at them steadily, quietly while allowing the process to mould and shape me?

I have often used the story of two builder s when motivating people to have a right perspective to what they are doing. The story is of two masons doing the same job however one described himself as a brick layer and the other as a Cathedral builder!

This has always motivated me, especially when the daily drudgery of thankless tasks tempts me to slacken off or give up. I have often paused in my tracks to ask myself this question- What I am doing? Where is all this going or leading up to? 

If I can't answer the question satisfactorily then either I have lost perspective or am seeing things from a wrong vantage point or even worse actually  got engaged in pursuits of little value.

What really struck me a fresh from that video clip was that a Cathedral was almost never finished in one man's lifetime! It must have taken more than a 100 years to complete. Therefore the project outlived the original designer, artisans, supplies, funders. These scores of nameless people have contributed to the glory of a grand structure they would never live to see but they worked with dedication and precision.

This brings me to the generation that  get to carry on another man's work or vision. It takes vision and humility for someone to carry on the dream design of another man and bring it to completion. Sure he may add his mark to the structure but in essence it works retain all the features of the original design - a piece magnificent!

In one sense we all are living out SOMEONE else's magnificent vision; to see that City come down from heaven, to see that bride being made ready.


One thing stands out as different from the builders of the Cathedrals of our time on earth. It’s this truth: we will not be unknown that day!!! We will be welcomed by NAME because the grand designer, architect and builder has been recording it in His big Book! 

Nothing we do will go unnoticed by our Jesus!! Nothing, no sacrifice, no toil, no pain will be in vain or uncelebrated by our King! I am  encouraged to carry on for there is our King who looks on With admiration for what you (I am) are building when no one sees!” (quote from the video clip).

So  labour with each brick,starting within the four wall of my home and then extending it to others starting with the first "Hello, are you new to Pune?".  I will lay brick upon brick as I serve up scores of meals and coffees, challenging, encouraging people in their walk of faith, journeying with them through all the rough patches of life, standing with them in joy, pain, confusion, doubt, love and laughter. 

In doing so, a grand cathedral to the glory of God is being built. I've had a part to play in it and one day I shall see and glory in the complete and finished work.  

So for now I will take joy in being an unseen Cathedral builder because my vantage point is Eternity!

Navaz D'Cruz

No comments:

Post a Comment