Thursday, January 5, 2012

Think and Thank



The New Year has a tradition of reflection, resolutions, new resolve and renewal of flagging resolutions of the past. We’ve all been there, done that!

At our church and personally, we have not been exceptions to this – we like to take stock of the year gone by and cast vision for the one that is just upon us.


This year we attended the midnight service at our home church, Living Word Chruch, Bandra , Mumbai. We spent the last few hours of the old year worshipping and thanking God for all that transpired in the year gone by.

Then the young dynamic preacher, Sydney Nevis stood up to give his last exhortation for the year. His motif  phrase was :"Think and Thank!” ( I owe this title to him). I thought to myself – “brilliant”! We have done this exercise over the years of writing a list of 10 things to thank God for in the year gone by – but his catch phrase, did catch my attention. I thought to myself how true it is that often thanklessness comes out of thoughtlessness. Because we don’t stop to think – think about how much we are blessed- we fail to thank.

The Bible is full of commands about giving thanks. The Bible is also full of warnings of not giving thanks. We are commanded to “  Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is Gods will for you in Christ.” (1Thes 5:16-18). 

 What does this do for us? We stop focusing on ourselves. We stop worrying. We see a sovereign God who is always in charge and in control. We see a way out through prayer and supplication.

 

Amongst the things we were asked to reflect, think and thank, was thanking our family members who are often last on the list simply because we selfishly take them for granted. So we got up from our seats and went to family members present to thank them for various things and what they mean to us. A wonderful atmosphere of family and gratitude filled the air and we brought the new year in.

 

So what can I think and thank God for? A lot of it has already been mentioned in our family newsletter  ( CLICK HERE)which you  can read for yourself.

 

However I want to thank God for family and faithful friends.


  •  I am thankful for Colin, my husband ,for being my best friend, for being this unique person who has brought much joy in my life. Our journey together has been a great adventure!
  • I am thankful for Andrew, my first born, who is a loving, cheerful gifted soul.
  • I am thankful for Jessica, who fills our heart with delight. She is caring, generous and thoughtful besides being a little too clever for her age!!

 

  •  I am ever grateful to my parents : My dad who was a  principled man full of wisdom and kindness . I want to thank my mum for her example extraordinaire – in being resolute, disciplined, planned, sacrificing, Godly and hospitable. ( and so much more...)
  • I want to thank God for my brother, Hormus – who though 1000s of miles away keeps an eagle eye on his younger sis swooping down to lift us up when in need. What would we do without you? If it were not for his timely help – we may not have had Jessica with us today. ( but that is another story). Along with him I want to thank my wonderful sister in law – Bunny, who has been a great friend and completely supportive.

 

  • I want to thank my father in law –Vincent, whom I called 'dad' much to his delight, for accepting me and being kind to me. I want to thank my mother in law, 'mum'- Helen: who has been more a friend than the  stereotyped wicked mother in law. She has given me a belly full of laughter on many an occasion with a unique wit and comedy. Her warmth and hospitality never made me feel an outsider.

 

  • I want to thank all my sisters in law and brothers in law, Yvonne and Savio, Fiona and Aubrey, Marianne and Rohan for just being a warm loving accepting family – for many cherished memories. (this may all sound rosy – let me assure you we have had a share of arguments and misunderstanding like every normal  family would)
  • I am thankful for the nephew and nieces: Joshua,Rachel and Sara for being good cousins to our children.
  •  I want to thank my friends – through childhood, the teens and adulthood. Thank you to those of you who have stood by us and encouraged us and believed in us. Thank you for your prayers, your words of encouragement, your love, your phone calls, and e mails.

 

  • Last but not the least, I am thankful to Jesus our Saviour from whom all the above blessings flow. He is the author of my life and with His hand upon me , my life would be wasted. I am thankful for His countless blessings.

 

So as I think and allow thankfulness to well up within me I want to end by quoting Matt Redman’s wonderful song titled "10,000 Reasons".

 

 Chorus:
Bless the lord oh my soul

Oh my soul

Worship his holy name

Sing like never before

Oh my soul

 Worship you holy name
  
 Verse1
The sun comes up
It’s a new day dawning
It’s time to sing your song again
Whatever may pass and whatever lies before me
Let me be singing when the evening comes
 Verse 2
You're rich in love and you're slow to anger
Your name is great and your heart is kind
For all your goodness i will keep on singing
10,000 reasons for my heart to find
Verse 3
And on that day when my strength is failing
The end draws near and my time has come
Soon my soul sings your praise un-ending
10,000 years and there forever more

Navaz
Jan2012



No comments:

Post a Comment