Saturday, November 20, 2010

Reflections on Serving

REFLECTIONS ON SERVING

"the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." Matt 20:28
Over the past few months I have found myself thinking about this a lot. What is it to really serve as Jesus did - in thought, heart, action, and motive? No doubt the greatest model of servant hood and servant leadership is found in our Lord Jesus alone. He is the best role model we can ever have. He also knew that in laying down his life, many sons would be raised to glory. So what can I learn? Here are a few thoughts I have been pondering upon and are by no means exhaustive.
  •  Everything Jesus did, He firstly did to please his father in heaven and bring Him glory.  
So I ask myself : when I serve, who gets the glory? Is my motive that of pleasing God or drawing attentions to myself, to win the approval of others, to win the praises of men, to promote myself? It’s good to stop and do a reality check here rather than find everything has been burnt up on the day of reckoning and I escape by the skin of my teeth.
  • He served in humility knowing He was loved by the Father. He did not serve in a condescending manner. Nor did He serve to gain the Father's approval.
So I ask myself : Do I serve to get the attention of those above me or to gain their approval and a few brownie points?
  • He served knowing the people would be ungrateful eg) of the ten lepers only one returned to give thanks. He did not serve so that people would publically acknowledge Him and thank Him. He served out of love and compassion and not out of duty and compulsion.
So I ask myself: How do I react when I do not get acknowledged or thanked for all my hard work and effort?
  • He served not wanting position or recognition He slipped away in the crowds when they wanted to hail Him, King. He washed the feet of the disciples taking on the very form of a slave. He did not go through an identity crisis.
So I ask myself When I serve am I willing to serve with the same fever and zeal behind a closed door where no one sees me, nobody BIG notices? Am I willing to serve in the background without a title my name? Sometimes it is easy to serve as the one “in charge" with the title and recognition. But the rubber hits the road when I have no title no position when I have to play second fiddle to someone else and I am not the Piper calling the tune. Can I then serve with equal fervor and devotion as unto the Lord?
  • He did not look out for his own interest - in fact, He laid down His life for his friends. He fed the 5000 thousand in spite of being worn out and tired. He put their needs before His own. In a world that teaches promoting the power of number UNO over community and others ,how do we handle Jesus’ teaching which is to love your neighbor as yourself and be your brother’s keeper?
So I ask myself :A m I absorbed in manipulating people, conversations, situations so that  I appear good and even better than others? Do I pass subtle hints of how better and how gifted I am? Am I large hearted towards others in wanting to see them grow, help them to grow and use their gifts or do I subtly put others down or refuse to acknowledge them or make room for them lest my position gets threatened? Am I willing for others to supersede me and go beyond where I will ever go?  Jesus told his disciples that they would do greater things than what he did. He wanted that for them. Do we have a large heart and a generous spirit? Remember everything we do and think is being watched by our Father in heaven and one day He will come to reward and judge us. How will we stand on that day?
Do others flourish under our care or are they stifled and only allowed to grow up to a point that does not threaten my position? This is a big snare in this generation and in our culture.
We are of a Kingdom that is not of this world and is not governed by its value systems. We march to a different drum beat. We are strangers and aliens on this earth. The world says grab – God’s way is to give.  The world says be the boss – God’s way is to serve. The world says look after number one – God’s way is to look out for others interests. The world says promote yourself –  God’s way is to  not think more highly of yourself than you ought to.
When we begin to live like this the Lords Kingdom will come on earth as it is in heaven and Jesus will reward with crowns that will not spoil or fade. We must live with Eternity in our hearts – then the temporary fortunes and fame and name will not ensnare us. We will be free to serve without strings attached – free to serve not enslaved by sinful desires but as servants of the MOST HIGH GOD!!.
Navaz D’Cruz

No comments:

Post a Comment